Friday, February 18, 2011

Greetings from an HSP Staff Member

I remember when I was a kid I always got excited the day before my birthday. I knew relatives would be calling to congratulate me (which I dreaded by the way). I’d get kisses from my mom, ear pulls from my sister ( :’( they hurt ), hits in the shoulder from my friends (the number equal to my new age, I still feel the soreness being 25 years old now), and wisdom words from my dad (zzz). However, as any kid, I really looked forward to the gifts I was going to get. We didn’t have a lot of money. There was no service such as the Children Birthday Project anywhere where I grew up. And I developed an awareness of how important gifts were to me and other children. And now, working at HSP, has made me realize how AWESOME the work is that we do here. Growing up with little money turned me into a person who loves to give, rather than receive. I love giving because I can relate to every kid when he gets the special birthday box from HSP – the box full of wonderful toys, games, balloons, and birthday party supplies. I can relate to the excitement and happiness the kid feels, to the OH-MY-GOSH smile he has on his face, and for me that’s always been enough of a reward.

clip_image002

HSP would like to thank Fry Elementary School and the PTA Community Service committee for their donation of over 200 toys! We could barely fit them all in a lug! Thank you!!! Your support is valued not only by us, but by the community, and by the mothers, fathers, and the children we serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment