Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Special Phone Call




My name is Tracy and I’m a volunteer here at HSP. Last week I received a phone call from a grateful senior named Barbara. As a volunteer, I feel especially honored to receive these types of phone calls. I am just a small part of this organization, and I know how many people work so hard to provide these seniors with food, gifts, and services.

From the second I answered the phone I couldn’t get a word in. Barbara couldn’t find the words to express the gratitude she was feeling. She started off by telling me that she wanted to thank everyone at HSP with all her heart. She kept telling me that she felt badly that she couldn’t find a better way to thank everyone. “I love everything I received for Christmas,” said Barbara. “My Secret Pal always seems to know just what I need. I needed to send out some letters and she sent me stamps! I love my Secret Pal.”

I tried to tell Barbara that calling us was plenty of thanks, but she interrupted to tell me that she wanted to write a us a letter, but “was getting frustrated at not being able to find words” to tell us how she felt. Being on the other end of the phone gave me such a warm feeling, and was all the validation I needed for why I decided to volunteer with HSP. I shared the message with the rest of the staff and everyone beamed with pride. That is why we are all here. Barbara finished her phone call by saying, “I love you all. Thank you.” We love you, too, Barbara. We love all our seniors.

No comments:

Post a Comment